Community News & Notes
Events on and off base
For more information or to submit an announcement, email Philip Jones at email@example.com or call 301-677-5602.
NEWS & NOTES
A limited number of licenses are available for the Commissary summer bagger program on June 11 from 9 a.m. to noon and 1 to 6 p.m. at the Public Affairs Office, 4409 Llewellyn Ave.
Eligible summer baggers are dependents, ages 14 to 18, of active-duty service members.
The first 35 eligible applicants will be taken. No additional applications will be taken.
Waivers will not be granted for those who do not meet eligibility requirements.
For more information, call 301-677-1301.
Army Emergency Services will temporarily relocate to 2462 85th Medical Battalion from Army Community Service, 830 Chisholm Ave.
For more information, call Wallace Turner, AER officer, at 301-677-5768.
Health reps at CPAC
Health care representatives will be available Wednesday at the Civilian Personnel Advisory Center, 4432 Llewellyn Avenue, to answer questions and address concerns with the MDIPA health plan.
* United Health Care, 9:30 to 10:30 a.m.
* Blue Cross Blue Shield, 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
* Kaiser Permanente, 1:30 to 2:30 p.m.
This is not a time to enroll in or change your health plan.
For more information, call Colleen Turpin at CPAC at 301-677-6526.
Organizational and generic email accounts as well as distribution lists with a CONUS address will stop working within the next 60 days due to the migration to Enterprise Email.
Individuals who need one of these accounts or lists should contact their organization's information assurance management officer to submit a trouble ticket to the Fort Meade Network Enterprise Center.
Kimbrough holiday closure
Kimbrough Ambulatory Care Center will be closed Friday to Monday in observance of Memorial Day weekend.
Country and Top 40 Night
Relax, dance or mingle at Country and Top 40 Night on Friday from 9 p.m. to 2 a.m. at Club Meade.
No cover charge. A cash bar will be available.
For more information, call 301-677-6969.
Pick your own meat, fresh vegetables and seasonings for a Mongolian barbecue dinner Friday from 5:30 to 9 p.m. and Club Meade will cook it.
The dinner is open to the public. Reservations are recommended by calling 301-677-6969.
Solo clarinet performance
The U.S. Army Field Band will present a solo clarinet performance featuring Staff Sgt. Matthew Sikes on Tuesday at 7 p.m. at the Oakland Historic Mansion, 5430 Vantage Point Road, Columbia.
The free event is open to the public. No tickets required.
The repertoire covers a wide spectrum of chamber music literature.
For more information, call 301-677-6586 or visit ArmyFieldBand.com.
An awards ceremony for the Garrison Noncommissioned Officer of the Year and Soldier of the Year, and Ultima NCO of the Year and Service Member of the Year will be held Wednesday at 1:30 p.m. at the Post Theater.
For more information, call Master Sgt. McCarley at 301-677-7760.
Military Appreciation Barbecue
The USO's third annual Military Appreciation Barbecue will be held June 1 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the courtyard at the Freedom Center Barracks.
Food will include hamburgers, hot dogs, side dishes and desserts.
This barbecue is free and only open to active-duty service members.
For more information, call Queen Waddell at 410-305-0660 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Army Birthday/Flag Day breakfast
The Francis Scott Key Chapter Association of the U.S. Army will sponsor the Army Birthday/Flag Day breakfast June 14 at 7:30 a.m. at Club Meade.
Tickets cost $10 and are available at the Fort Meade Community Credit Union or through your unit.
Women's Health Fair
In observance of Women's Health Month, Kimbrough Ambulatory Care Center will sponsor a Women's Health Fair at Kimbrough on June 2 from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Health screenings, including Pap smears, mammograms, cholesterol checks and oral cancer screenings, as well as educational material addressing women's health, will be offered.
The event is open only those enrolled in TRICARE at Kimbrough.
To schedule a "Well Woman" appointment or for more information, call 301-677-8487 or email email@example.com.
Vets on the Bay invites wounded warriors and their family members to sail up the Chesapeake Bay on June 14 in celebration of the 200th anniversary of the War of 1812.
Participants will sail from Annapolis to the Baltimore Harbor on The Eagle, the Coast Guard's 295-foot barque.
Departure is set for 6 a.m. from the U.S. Naval Academy, but participants must arrive at 5:45 a.m. Return is scheduled for 4 p.m.
Snacks will be available on board. Participants may lunch on their own in Baltimore.
To register, call Col. Bob Howe at 703-517-5842.
Evening vet clinic
The Fort Meade Veterinary Treatment Facility at 2018 Annapolis Road is offering an evening vet clinic June 20 from 4 to 7 p.m.
The clinic will provide health exams, vaccinations and sick appointments.
Services are available to active-duty service members, retirees and their families with military I.D.
To schedule an appointment or for more information, call 301-677-1300.
Tax Center open
The Fort Meade Tax Center at 4217 Roberts Ave. is open to take appointments until June 30.
If you filed an extension, have a tax question or received a tax notice and need assistance, call 301-677-9765 to schedule an appointment.
Army Arts & Crafts Contest
Compete for cash prizes against the finest artists and artisans in the Army.
Submissions are being accepted until June 30.
Enter your best work in the following categories: ceramics, digital arts, drawing, fibers and textiles, glass, metals and jewelry, mixed media, painting and wood.
Submit entry forms and digital images of work to apps.imcom.army.mil/APPTRAC.
Fleet Center classes
The Fleet and Family Support Center at 830 Chisholm Ave. offers free classes to DoD I.D. cardholders. Advanced registration is required.
* Investment workshop: Today, 1 to 3 p.m.
* Resume Writing: June 5, 9 a.m. to noon. This workshop will provide tips on winning resume styles, the importance of cover letters and tips on following up.
* Dollars and Sense: June 5, 1 to 3 p.m. Topics include: basic budgeting, financial goals and priorities, saving and investing, and managing your credit.
* Developing Your Savings Plan: June 7, from 1 to 3 p.m.
To register or for more information, call 301-677-9017 or 301-677-9018.
The next two-day Additional Duty Safety Officer and Collateral Duty Safety Representative Course is scheduled for June 20 to 21 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at DPTMS Training Center in classroom 1.
Newly appointed primary and alternate ADSO/CDSRs are required to attend. It is recommended that all CDSRs who have not attended this training within the past five years also attend.
Nominations for training should be made by bringing a completed Form SF 182 to the Installation Safety Office, 4216 Roberts Ave., or faxing the form to 301-677-6147.
For more information, call Tony Simms at ISO at 301-677-4227 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Francis Scott Key scholarships
The Francis Scott Key Chapter of the Association of the United States Army on Fort Meade is offering two scholarships for the 2012 to 2013 academic year.
The application deadline is May 31.
The scholarships are in honor of retired Brig. Gen. Jack Kaufman, who dedicated 40 years of service to the chapter.
The AUSA Family Member Scholarship is open to all active members of AUSA. Applicants must have applied or are currently attending an accredited college or university for an undergraduate or advanced degree.
Family Member Scholarship is open to all family members of active Francis Scott Key members (officer, enlisted or civilian) who are high school seniors.
Applications are available in high school guidance offices and at the Fort Meade Credit Union offices.
For more information, email Jacqueline Smith at email@example.com.
Auto care courses
The Automotive Skills Center at 6530 Taylor Ave. is offering "How to change CV boots/axles" on June 3, 1 to 3 p.m.
Cost is $10.
An FMWR card is required to use the Auto Skills Center. New patrons must first view a 20-minute safety video, then attend a 10-minute briefing before receiving the FMWR card.
For more information, call 301-677-5542.
Leadership, etiquette classes
The Military Family Team Building Program, sponsored by Army Family Team Building and Army Community Service, is offering several classes.
AFTB empowers individuals, maximizing their personal growth and professional development through specialized training.
Training is available to Soldiers, family members and DoD civilians and volunteers.
* Level 3 Team Building: June 7 to 8, 8:45 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Potomac Place Neighborhood Center. Child care is available with two-week prior notice.
* Level 2 Concept Block: June 18, 1 to 4 p.m., ACS
* AFTB New Spouse Cluster meeting (Level 1 and more): June 26, 7 to 8:30 p.m.
Registration is required for all classes.
To register or for more information, call 301-677-4110 or email Pia Morales, Mobilization/Deployment Program manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Grilling and Chilling
Youths in grades six to eight can enjoy an evening of food and fun Friday from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. at the Youth Center.
Cost is $8.
Dinner includes barbecue ribs, loaded baked potatoes, salad and beverages Participants will choose activities after dinner.
For more information, call 301-677-1437.
Youth summer dance sessions
Registration is under way for youth summer dance sessions that will be held Tuesdays from June 5 to 26 at the Youth Center.
Cost is $55 for ages 5 to 7 and $65 for ages 8 and older.
For more information, call 301-677-1149.
Out & About
* Meade Area Garden Club is sponsoring a car-pool trip June 20 to Faith Banges' lily gardens at 3508 Foxhall Drive, Davidsonville. Registration is ongoing. Meet at 9:15 a.m. at the Ridgeview Shopping Center or at the gardens for the 10 a.m. tour. The group will purchase lunch at a local restaurant. For more information or to sign up, call Joan Fiscus at 410-489-5978.
* Port Discovery Children's Museum, 35 Market Place, Baltimore, is sponsoring "Salute the Troops" through Monday. Active-duty service members and retirees who present their military identification will receive free admission for themselves and one guest, plus a 10 percent discount at the gift shop. For more information, call 410-727-8120 or visit portdiscovery.org.
* Leisure Travel Services is offering bus trips to New York City on June 16, with discounts to attractions. Bus cost is $55. For more information, call 301-677-7354 or visit ftmeademwr.com.
* Retired Officers' Wives' Club will start off its Summer Lunch Bunch meetings with a tea at Club Meade on June 5 at 11 a.m. Reservations are required Tuesday. Cost is $22.
Reserve in groups for a table. Bring teapots and cups to make the tea party more elegant. Hot water, tea bags and tea foods such as sandwiches and desserts will be provided.
RSVP with your payment to Rebecca Conover, 9214 Log Chain Road, Columbia, MD 21045. For more information, call Conover at 410-964-3237.
A sign-up sheet for lunch meetings in July and August at local venues will be available at the tea. For more information, call Lianne Roberts at 301-464-5498.
* Families Dealing with Deployment meets the first and third Monday of every month from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. at Meuse Forest Neighborhood Center. The next meeting is June 4.
For more information, call Rikki Ford, Parent Support coordinator, at 301-677-3617 or email email@example.com.
* Monthly Prayer Breakfast, hosted by the garrison, will now be held the first Thursday of every month at 7 a.m. at the Freedom Inn Dining Facility. The next breakfast is June 7. Post employees, family members, and civilian and military personnel are invited. No cost; donations are optional. For more information, call 301-677-6703 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Meade Rod and Gun Club meets the first Thursday of the month at 7 p.m. at Perry's Restaurant and Odie's Pub at 1210 Annapolis Road, Odenton. The next meeting is June 7 in the banquet hall in back of the building. Dinner is served at 6 p.m. For more information, call 410-674-4000.
* Fort Meade E9 Association meets the second Friday of every month at 7 a.m. in the Pin Deck Cafe at the Lanes. The next meeting is June 8. The association is open to active, retired, Reserve and National Guard E9s of any uniformed service. All E9s in this area are invited to attend a breakfast and meet the membership. For more information, visit e9association.org or call 410-551-7953.
* Enlisted Spouses Club meets the second Monday of each month at 7 p.m. at the clubhouse in Bldg. T-4, across from the Pet Care Center. The next meeting is June 11. For more information, visit ftmeadeesc.org.
Please login to comment:
May 24, 2013
Col. Edward C. Rothstein
Public Affairs Officer
Command Information Director
Assistant Editor & Senior Writer
General Advertising Inquiries