Community News & Notes
For more information or to submit an announcement, e-mail email@example.com or call 301-677-6806.
NEWS & EVENTS
New hours for Kimbrough division
Beginning March 12, the hours of operation for Kimbrough Ambulatory Care Center's Patient Administration Division will be Monday through Thursday from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
For more information, call 301-677-8141.
Ducks Unlimited sponsor dinner
The General George G. Meade Chapter of Ducks Unlimited will hold its annual sponsor dinner March 12 from 6 to 10 p.m. at Snyder's Willow Grove Restaurant, 841 N. Hammonds Ferry Road, Linthicum Heights.
The event is open to the public. Cost is $50 per person and $95 per couple. The event will feature an open bar, hors d'oeuvres, desserts, a silent auction, live auction and raffles.
For more information, call Charles Brown at 410-750-7263 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information about Ducks Unlimited, visit www.ducks.org/Aboutdu/default.aspx.
USO open house
The Fort Meade USO will sponsor an open house today from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and 6 to 7:30 p.m. at 7007 A Baker St.
The event will feature food, fun and fellowship. Learn about volunteering opportunities, and new and existing programs and activities.
For more information, call 410-305-0660.
Commanders, first sergeants training
The Military District of Washington Commanders and First Sergeants Training Course will be held April 5 to 7 at the Fort Myer Main Post Chapel in Virginia.
The course is designed to acquaint new and prospective company leaders with some of the challenges of command and with the resources available to assist them in addressing Soldier concerns within the National Capitol Region.
MDW Regulation 350-5 requires company commanders and first sergeants to attend this training.
To participate, call your unit S3 or the Directorate of Plans, Training, Mobilization and Security. For more information, call Sgt. Maj. George at 202-685-2907 or Robert Walker at 202-685-0416/3322.
Credit Union open house
The Fort Meade Community Credit Union will hold its 63rd anniversary open house and general membership meeting March 17 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at 4471 Redwood Ave.
For more information, call 410-551-5800 or 301-677-3812.
Exercise leader training
An Exercise Leader Trainer Course for the Pregnancy Postpartum Physical Training Program will be offered April 19 to 22 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Bldg. 8465 at 6th Armored Cavalry Chapel across from the Freedom Inn dining facility.
The program is for motivated noncommissioned officers, E-5 through E-7 with no physical fitness profiles. Dress is PT uniform.
For more information, call Master Sgt. Darrell Johnson at 301-677-7160.
Monthly pre-retirement briefings will be held March 19, April 23, May 21, June 18, July 23, Aug. 20, Sept. 24, Oct. 22 and Nov. 19 at Smallwood Hall.
These briefings should be taken at the 18th year of active military service, and then once every two years.
For reservations, call 301-677-9600. Spouses are encouraged to attend. For more information, call Stephen Ashley, Retirement Services Officer, at 301-677-9603.
The Information, Tickets & Registration office has moved from 6530 York Road in the Arts & Crafts building to the Camp Meade RV Park on 2300 Wilson St. For more information, call 301-677-7354.
Parents' Nite Out
Parents' Nite Out will be offered quarterly. The next event will be June 18.
Parents may begin signing up their children May 15. Children must be registered at Child and Youth Services.
For more information, call Lisa Redmond, Parent Support Program manager at 301-677-3617 or e-mail to email@example.com.
Enlisted Spouses' Club scholarship
Applications are now being accepted for the 2010/2011 Fort Meade Enlisted Spouses Club Scholarship awards.
To be eligible, the applicant must be an unmarried son or daughter of a service member, be either a high school senior applying as a full-time student or a full-time continuing education student up to age 23.
The military sponsor may be active duty, retired, or a Reservist or in the National Guard. Both the military member and applicant must reside in the Fort Meade area. Children of deceased service members are also eligible. Applications and all supporting documents must be postmarked by March 17 and received no later than March 24.
Applications are available at the Post Thrift Shop, Post Library, Fort Meade Army Education Center, Meade and Arundel High Schools, neighborhood centers, chapels and on the Web site, ftmeadeesc.org.
For more information, call Susan Renninger at 410-437-5829.
The Fort Meade Officers' Wives' Club is offering several scholarships this year in three categories: The Etta Baker Memorial Scholarship, The Merit Scholarship and the JROTC Scholarship.
To be eligible, the military sponsor must be presently on active duty and assigned to, attached to or living on Fort Meade, or living within 30 miles from post.
For application forms and to review information, visit www.fortmeadeowc.org. Forms are also available through many local public and private high school guidance counselors.
Fleet Center programs
The Navy Fleet and Family Service Center offers classes in the Community Readiness Center at 830 Chisholm Ave. Registration is required. For more information, call 301-677-9017/9018.
* Federal employment, Saturday, 9 a.m. to noon. This free workshop teaches the basics of the federal employment system.
* Anger management, March 17, 9 to 11 a.m.
* Common Sense Parenting, March 19, 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
* Interviewing skills, March 23, 9 a.m. to noon.
* Sponsorship training, March 24, 9 to 11 a.m. Bring your spouse and gather as many resources and information as possible for your next duty station.
* Deployment briefing, March 24, 2 to 3:30 p.m. Spouses are encouraged to attend.
* Home buying, March 25, 1 to 3 p.m.
* Medical record review, every Tuesday (except the fifth Tuesday of the month). Have your medical records reviewed before leaving the military and before applying for VA benefits. You will have an advocate throughout the VA claim application process, including any possible appeals. To meet with Joseph Thornton of AMVETS, call 301-677-9017.
Auto skills classes
The Auto Skills Center, housed with the Arts and Crafts Center at 6530 Taylor Ave., offers auto maintenance training classes on some Sundays from 1 to 3 p.m. Cost is $10. Completion of safety class is required.
For more information, call 301-677-5542, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.ftmeademwr.com/auto.
The Post Library sponsors pre-school story time sessions.
* The Tooth Fairy will visit March 25 from 10 to 11 a.m. to teach children about maintaining healthy teeth, sing songs and lead a craft.
* A "Spring Walk-about" around Burba Lake and a game of "I Spy" will be held April 8 from 10 to 11 a.m. Read about the interesting animals in our own backyard. Meet first at the library.
Check out the library's growing collection of more than 200 new children's books. For more information, call 301-677-5522.
Day camp registration
Child, Youth and School Services is offering an activity-packed Summer Day Camp Program.
The program for kindergarten through fifth grade will be held at School Age Services at 1900 Reece Road. The Middle School Camp for sixth through eighth grades will be offered at 909 Ernie Pyle St.
Camp hours are weekdays from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. One-week sessions begin June 21. Fees are based on family income.
Walk-in registration is from 7:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Central Registration. Appointments will be scheduled from 1:30 to 5 p.m. To schedule an appointment, call 301-677-1149/1156.
Provinces Library programs
The Provinces Library, 2624 Annapolis Road in Severn, offers several events this month. For more information, call 410-222-6280.
* Story time, for ages 2 to 5, Wednesday and March 17 at 10 a.m. Parents and caregivers must accompany 2- and 3-year-olds, while children ages 4 and older may attend alone if an adult remains in the facility.
Win Aquarium tickets
Enter to win two free tickets to the National Aquarium in Baltimore at the ITR office in the Camp Meade RV Park, 2300 Wilson St.
To enter, fill out an ICE comment card and place it in the box on the counter. The drawing will be held March 26 at 4 p.m. at ITR. The winner does not need to be present to win.
For more information, call 301-677-7354.
Out & About
* Michael Beresh of the Americana group, The Country Devils, will perform "Letters to Baltimore from the War" on Saturday at 8 p.m. at The Patterson in Baltimore at 3134 Eastern Ave. Doors open at 7 p.m. Tickets are $12 for Creative Alliance members and $15 for nonmembers.
The musical composition recounts the travels of Beresh's great uncles during World War II. The East Avenue Jazz Quartet will open with a set of World War II-era songs. Author Gary Helton will narrate with text from the Beresh brothers' letters. For more information, call 410-276-1651 or visit www.creativealliance.org.
* The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra Superpops teams up with illusionist Joseph Gabriel for a night of music and magic Friday and Saturday at 8 p.m. and Sunday at 3 p.m. at the Joseph Meyerhoff Symphony Hall, 1212 Cathedral St., Baltimore. Cost ranges from $26-$60. For more information, call 410-783-8000.
* The 9th Annual Chocolate & Candy Festival in Bel Air will be held Saturday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at 2 South Bond St. Cost is $5. Children under 5 attend free. The event features delicious samples, music, children's activities and a scavenger hunt. For directions, call 410-836-6346 or visit www.downtownbelair.com.
* Rep Stage will present the Tennessee Williams' play "The Glass Menagerie" through March 14 at Howard Community College in Columbia. Performances will be Friday and Saturday at 8 p.m.; Sunday at 2 and 7 p.m.; Wednesday at 7 p.m.; March 11 at 7 p.m.; March 12 at 8 p.m.; March 13 at 2 and 8 p.m.; and March 14 at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. A reception will follow the March 14 matinee.
Tickets are $16 to $30. For more information, call 410-772-4900 or visit www.repstage.org.
* The Meade Area Garden Club will meet March 19 at 10 a.m. in the Jessup Community Center at the corner of Route 175 and Wigley Avenue. The meeting will be canceled if county schools close two hours early because of inclement weather.
Bob Stewart will present the program "Cactus and Succulents." Stewart, a former horticultural cooperative extension educator with the University of Maryland, edits a newsletter for the National Capital Cactus and Succulent Society.
Reservations are not required. Refreshments will be served. For more information, call Pat Loosararian, membership chairman, at 410-519-6443.
* The George G. Meade Chapter of Ducks Unlimited meets the second Tuesday of every month at 7 p.m. at Perry's Restaurant in Odenton. The next meeting is Tuesday. For more information, call 410-674-6523 or e-mail email@example.com.
* Protestant Women of the Chapel invites women for prayer, fellowship, food and fun to its weekly Wednesday meeting from 9:30 a.m. to noon at Argonne Hills Chapel Center. Child care and a home-school room are provided. For more information, call Christine Washburn at 443-230-1553 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Meade Rod and Gun Club meets the first Thursday of the month at 7 p.m. at the Outdoor Adventure Center, Bldg. T-4. The next meeting is today. For more information, call 240-568-6055.
* Parenting in the Midst of Deployment support group for spouses of deployed service members meets the first and third Mondays of the month from 5 to 6:30 p.m. at School Age Services. The next meeting is March 15. For more information, call 301-677-3617.
* Society of Military Widows meets for brunch the fourth Sunday of the month at 11 a.m. at Club Meade. The next meeting is March 21. For more information, call Daisy Jackson at 410-730-6194.
* Parenting With a Purpose meets Wednesdays from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. in the Meuse Forest Neighborhood Center. Learn new parenting skills to enrich the relationship with your child. Free child care available. For more information, call Lisa Redmond at 301-677-3617/5590 or e-mail email@example.com.
* Army Community Service Women's Empowerment Group meets the first and third Wednesdays of the month from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. The next meeting is March 17. The group provides support for victims of past or present family violence. For more information, call 301-677-4117.
* Single Parent Support Group meets the second and fourth Monday of every month from 5 to 6:30 p.m. at School Age Services. The next meetings are Monday and March 22. For more information, call Lisa Redmond, program manager, at 301-677-3617/2290 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Aliento De Vida, a Spanish-speaking nondenominational service, is held Fridays at 7:30 p.m. at Cavalry Chapel. For more information, call 410-533-8767 or e-mail email@example.com.
* Meeting with the Rabbi, a monthly two-hour open discussion with Rabbi Leonard Finkelstein is held the first Sunday of the month from 10 a.m. to noon at Argonne Hills Chapel Center. Other Jewish events include the morning prayer service at 6:30 a.m., Lunch with the Rabbi on Tuesdays at noon and Tuesday afternoon prayer at 12:45 p.m.
* The Fort Meade E9 Association meets the second Friday of the month at 7 a.m. in the Pin Deck Cafe at the Lanes. The next meeting is March 12. The association is open to active, retired, Reserve and National Guard E9s of any uniformed service. For more information, call 410-551-7953, or go to www.e9association.org.
* Boy Scout Troop 379 meets Wednesdays at 7 p.m. at the Outdoor Adventure Building, Bldg. T-4, on Range Road. Meetings are open to boys ages 11 to 18 and their parents. For more information, call Lisa Yetman at 410-437-7263.
* The Meade Top 3 meets the second Wednesday of each month at 3 p.m. at the Courses Clubhouse. The next meeting is Wednesday. All active-duty Air Force senior noncommissioned officers and master sergeants select, Air Force Reserve and Air National Guard personnel assigned to, stationed on, residing on or assigned to activities directly supported here are eligible members. For more information, call Master Sgt. Janette Sakanga at 301-688-8768.
* Meade Branch 212 of the Fleet Reserve Association meets the second Wednesday of the month at 7 p.m. at VFW Post 160 on Route 170 in Glen Burnie. The next meeting is Wednesday. For more information, call 410-761-7046 or 301-262-6556.
* American Legion Post 276, 8068 Quarterfield Road in Severn, is open to membership for veterans and active-duty service members. The lounge is open daily at 11 a.m. The hall is available to rent for events. For more information, call 410-969-8028 or visit www.americanlegionpost276.org.
Please login to comment:
Col. Brian P. Foley
Public Affairs Officer
Assistant Editor & Senior Writer
General Advertising Inquiries