Community News & Notes
Events on and off base
For more information or to submit an announcement, email email@example.com or call 301-677-5602.
NEWS & EVENTS
Right Arm Night
Bring your “right arm” to Right Arm Night tonight from 4 to 6 p.m. at Club Meade.
The event features free food, music and prizes and is open to all military services and civilians.
To reserve unit tables, call 301-677-6969.
For more information, visit www.ftmeademwr.com.
Latin Club Night
Enjoy a nightclub atmosphere at Latin Club Night on Feb. 10 from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. at Club Meade.
There is no cover charge. Cash bar is available.
For more information, call 301-677-6969.
Black History Month observance
The garrison command, along with the Equal Opportunity Office, will sponsor the African American/Black History Observance on Feb. 23 from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Club Meade.
The theme is "Black Women in American Culture and History."
The annual event is hosted by the Defense Information School. The keynote speaker will be Joanne Martin, who co-founded the National Great Blacks In Wax Museum in Baltimore, the country's first wax museum concentrating on black history, life and culture.
Admission is free and open to the public. Free food samplings will be served.
Administrative leave is authorized.
For more information, contact Staff Sgt. Fox or Staff Sgt. Fultz at 301-677-4696 or SFC Bass (301) 677-6687.
DINFOS Black History Month events
The Defense Information School is hosting a series of events in celebration of Black History Month.
This year's theme is "Black Women in American Culture and History."
* through Feb. 29: "Coats for Kids" for Sarah's House. Collection boxes are set up around units.
* through Feb. 29: Book drive: Donate educational books for Sarah's House.
* Thursday: Black History Committee Meeting, 2 to 3 p.m., DINFOS, 6500 Mapes Road
* Tuesday: Black History Movie Viewing: "The Secret Life of Bees," 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., DINFOS
* Feb. 9: Black History Movie Discussion, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., DINFOS
* Feb. 17: Open mic event, 7 to 9 p.m., Club Meade. To perform, register by Feb. 13. Email Staff Sgt. Celisse Cortez at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Feb. 18: Lunch cruise on the Potomac on the Spirit of Washington with a musical tribute to African-American artists, 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. For reservations, visit http://www.spiritofwashington.com.
* Feb. 22: Tour of Washington, D.C./Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial, 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.
* Feb. 29: Food Sampling/Trivia Bowl, 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., McGill Training Center. Registration required by Feb. 24. Email Master Sgt. Keisha Montague at email@example.com.
* Weekly emails: Check your inbox for educational information about black women's contributions to American history and culture.
To help with upcoming Black History Month events, contact Master Sgt. LaShawndra Ramsey at firstname.lastname@example.org or attend weekly planning meetings on Thursdays at 2 p.m. at DINFOS.
For more information, email email@example.com or call 301-677-4721.
Celebrate Fat Tuesday with a Madris Gras-themed, all-you-can-eat lunch menu on Feb. 21 from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at Club Meade.
For more information, call 301-677-6969.
Country: Top 40 Night
Dance and party at Country: Top 40 Night on Feb. 24 from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. at Club Meade.
There is no cover charge. Cash bar is available.
For more information, call 301-677-6969.
A Valentine's Day Sweetheart Dinner will be held Feb. 14 from 5:30 to 8 p.m. at the Courses Clubhouse.
The dinner is open to military and civilians.
Reservations are required. For reservations or more information, call 301-677-5326.
The 11th Frame Lounge at the Lanes is hosting a free Karaoke Night on the third Thursday of the month.
The next Karaoke Night will be Feb. 16 from 7 to 10 p.m. The general public is invited.
For more information, call 301-677-5541.
The Exceptional Family Member Program at Fort Meade is sponsoring several events in February.
* "Meet and Greet," Feb. 15 from 2 to 3 p.m. at Potomac Place Neighborhood Center. Join other EFMP parents for monthly, informal parent-to-parent chats. Registration required. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 301-677-4473.
* EFMP Bowling events are held the third Tuesday of each month at the Lanes. The next event will be Feb. 21 from 5:30 to 7 p.m. and includes a free buffet and giveaways for exceptional family members ages 18 and younger and their siblings.
Register for free games and shoe rental at https://webtrac.mwr.army.mil/webtrac/meadecyms.html. For more information, call the EFMP office at 301-677-1156.
Adult exceptional family members may register for free games and shoe rental at the EFMP office by calling 301-677-7836. Discounted games and shoe rental are available for other adult family members.
Registration required by Feb. 17. For more information, email email@example.com or call 301-677-7836.
For general information, call Caraline Someck, EFMP manager, at 301-677-4122.
Pre-K enrollment starts
Pre-kindergarten applications for West Meade Early Education Center starts Tuesday.
Applications must be completed in person at the school. Children must be age 4 by Sept. 1.
Bring the following documents when enrolling:
* Child's original birth certificate
* Copy of the child's immunization record
* Two proofs of residency (rental or mortgage agreement and current utility bill)
* Federal Income Tax Return for 2011 (1040 statement)
* Current award letter for Temporary Cash Assistance, food stamps or WIC, the federally-funded health and nutrition program for women, infants and children.
Public pre-kindergarten programs in Maryland were established to improve the school readiness of children who are economically disadvantaged or homeless.
If seats remain, children with other readiness needs may be enrolled.
'Military Saves' Week
Army Community Service will host "Military Saves" Week from Feb. 21 to 24 at the Community Readiness Center, 830 Chisholm Ave.
* Credit Scores and Reports will be held Feb. 21 at 9 a.m. The free program is open to everyone. Advance registration is recommended.
* Credit Score Clinic will be held Feb. 22 at 10 a.m. The free program is open to active-duty service members and spouses only. Advance registration is required.
* Day of Financial Fitness will be held Feb. 23 at 8 a.m. The free program is open to active-duty service members and spouses only. Advance registration is required.
For more information, call 301-677-5590 or visit www.ftmeademwr.com.
The Auto Skills Center is offering auto maintenance training on the following Sundays from 1 to 3 p.m.:
* Sunday: How to change transmission filter and fluid
* March 11: How to change oil and maintain your vehicle
* March 25: How to change wheel bearings
Cost is $19. Advance registration and facility safety class are required.
For more information, call 301-677-5542 or visit www.ftmeademwr.com/auto.php.
Fleet Center classes
The Fleet and Family Support Center at 830 Chisholm Ave. offers classes that are open to DoD identification cardholders. Advanced registration is required.
* Stress Management: Monday, 9 to 11 a.m. Learn the signs and how to deal with everyday pressures.
* Resume Writing: Tuesday, 9 to noon: The workshop will provide tips on winning resume styles, importance of cover letters and tips on following up.
* Dollars and Sense: Tuesday, 1 to 3 p.m. Understand your relationship with money. Topics include: Basic Budgeting, Financial Goals and Priorities, Saving and Investing, and Managing Your Credit. Learn to control your money instead of it controlling you.
* Medical Records Review: Have your medical records reviewed by Joseph Thornton of AMVETS. An appointment is required.
To register or for more information, call 301-677-9017 or 9018.
Job search strategies
The Employment Readiness Program is offering BRAC 101 Employment Training Orientation on Wednesday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Soldier and Family Assistance Center, 85th Medical Battalion Ave.
For more information, call Vikki Torrence, Employment Readiness Program manager, or Jamesinaez James at 301-677-5590 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Medal of Honor Memorial Library offers Pre-Kindergarten Storytime every Thursday from 9:30 to 10 a.m. and 10:30 to 11 a.m.
* Feb. 2: "Dental Health Month" features stories, songs and fingerplay about dental care.
* Feb. 9: "Love is in the Air," a pre-Valentine's Day celebration
* Feb. 16: "A Presidential Birthday": Learn about President's Day.
* Feb. 23: "Goodness Gracious -- What a Nose" about elephants
For more information, call 301-677-5522.
Youth Center activities
Child, Youth and School Services is offering the following activities for grades six to eight:
* "80s and 90s Retro Dance," Friday, 7 to 9:30 p.m. Proof of age is required. Raffles, group or solo pictures cost $1. Adult chaperones are needed.
* Pizza and Movie Night, Feb. 10, 6:30 to 10 p.m. Cost is $6.50 for pizza. Order deadline is Feb. 9 at 6 p.m. Movie is free.
* Skating trip to Quiet Waters Ice Rink, Feb. 17, 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. Cost is $10 with skate rental, and $7 without skate rental.
* "Grilling and Chilling," Feb. 24, 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. Menu includes barbecue chicken legs, hot dogs, picnic salads and drink. Food cost is $5.
For more information, call 301-677-1437.
In celebration of National Children's Dental Health Month, the Fort Meade Dental Activity will host the 25rd annual "Toothbrush Giveaway" on Feb. 10 from 1 to 3:30 p.m. in the lobby of the commissary.
Talk to the Tooth Fairy; get a new toothbrush, floss and rings; and brush "Doogey Dog's" teeth. Learn how a balanced diet, limited snacks, daily brushing and flossing, and regular dental checkups are the keys to a lifetime of healthy teeth and gums.
For more information, call Deanna Benicewicz, community health dental hygienist, at 301-677-5920.
Out & About
* Leisure Travel Services, 2300 Wilson St., is sponsoring monthly bus trips to New York City on Feb. 11 and March 10 and discounts to attractions. Bus cost is $55. For more information, call 301-677-7354 or visit www.ftmeademwr.com.
* Professional Bull Riders, Friday and Saturday at 8 p.m. at 1st Mariner Arena, 201 W. Baltimore St. Tickets cost $13 to $147. For more information, visit baltimorearena.com.
* Monster Jam: Feb. 24 at 7:30 p.m.; Feb. 25 at 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.; and Feb. 26 at 2 p.m. at 1st Mariner Arena, 201 W. Baltimore St. Pit party is Feb. 25 from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. (Must have a ticket to the 2 p.m. performance and pit pass.) Tickets are $22, $30 and $62. (All prices are $2 more on the day of show.) Purchase pit passes for $10 (in advance or day of show). For more information, visit baltimorearena.com.
* Retired Officers' Wives' Club will sponsor its monthly luncheon meeting Tuesday at 11 a.m. at Club Meade. Reservations are required by today. The luncheon will feature an informal fashion show of jewelry pieces modeled by ROWC members. Items will be available for purchase. Cost for the luncheon is $15. Guests who are eligible to join the ROWC may attend one meeting before they are required to join. Dues, normally $25 per year, are reduced to $12.50 for the remaining February through May meetings.
Members may call their area reservation committee representative. All others call Betty Wade at 410-551-7082. For membership information, call Lianne Roberts at 301-464-5498.
* Monthly Prayer Breakfast hosted by the garrison is held the first Thursday of every month at 7 a.m. at the Courses Clubhouse. The next breakfast is today. Post employees, family members, civilian and military personnel are invited. There is no cost; donations are optional. For more information, call 301-677-6703 or email email@example.com.
* Meade Rod and Gun Club meets the first Thursday of the month at 7 p.m. at Perry's Restaurant and Odie's Pub at 1210 Annapolis Road, Odenton. The next meeting is tonight in the banquet hall in back of the building. If you come early, you may join us for dinner at 6 p.m. For more information, call 410-674-4000.
* Anne Arundel Genealogical Society will meet tonight at 7:30 p.m. at Severna Park United Methodist Church, 731 Benfield Road, Severna Park. Elinor Thompson will present the program "Preserving Church and Cemetery Histories and Records 1777-1931 -- West River -- African Americans and Whites." For more information, call the Kuethe Library at 410-760-9679 or visit www.aagensoc.org.
* EMPOWERING Parents of Teens Support Group meets the first and third Monday of every month from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at School Age Services. The next meeting is Monday. Refreshments and free child care provided. For more information, call Rikki Ford, Parent Support coordinator, at 301-677-3617 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Fort Meade BOSS (Better Opportunities for the Single Solder) meets the first and third Tuesdays of the month at 3 p.m. at the Freedom Center, Bldg. 6405. The next meeting is Tuesday. Single Soldiers are invited. For more information, call 301-677-7785.
* Fort Meade TOP III Association meets the second Wednesday of each month at 3 p.m. at the Courses. The next meeting is Wednesday. The association is open to all Air Force active and retired senior noncommissioned officers. For more information, call Master Sgt. Jonathan Jacob at 443-479-0616 or email email@example.com.
* Meade Branch 212 of the Fleet Reserve Association meets the second Wednesday of each month at 7 p.m. at VFW Post 160 on Route 170 in Glen Burnie. The next meeting is Wednesday. Active-duty, Reserve and retired members of the U.S. Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard are invited. For more information, call 410-761-7046 or 301-262-6556.
Please login to comment:
Col. Brian P. Foley
Public Affairs Officer
Command Information Director
Assistant Editor & Senior Writer
General Advertising Inquiries