Community News & Notes
Events on and off base
For more information or to submit an announcement, email email@example.com or call 301-677-6806.
NEWS & EVENTS
The Fort Meade Military Spouse Newcomer's Seminar is held Wednesdays from 12:30 to 4 p.m. at the Community Readiness Center, 830 Chisholm Ave.
Spouses from all military branches are invited. Information is presented on different agencies on the installation. Door prizes are also awarded.
For information and reservations, call the Army Community Service Relocation Office at 301-677-5590.
Military Career Advancement EXPO
The Fort Meade Army Education Center will host a Military Career Advancement EXPO on June 29 at McGill Training Center, 8452 Zimborski Ave.
The EXPO is design to give Soldiers, spouses, teens, civilians and anyone contemplating military service information about jobs, pay, duty locations, education benefits and special programs such as Special Forces, Rangers and military bands.
All branches of the military will be represented. Members of various organizations will be available to answer questions including the Army Medical Department, Green to Gold and the Criminal Investigation Division.
This free event is open to the public. Free refreshments will be available, while supplies last.
For more information or to bring a group of teens, call Vivian Moss at 301-677-6423 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
A flea market will be held July 16 from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Pavilion.
Cost to rent a space with one table and two chairs inside the Pavilion is $20.
Registration is based on a first-come, first-serve basis. The Pavilion will open at 6 a.m. for registration and setup.
For more information, call 301-677-3912.
Commissary bagger program
Fort Meade is accepting applications for the Summer Bagger Program at the commissary.
This program serves as a garrison summer work program for active-duty dependents ages 14 to 18 years old through Labor Day. Eligible candidates will receive priority scheduling for the weekday shift from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
The final day for badge registration will be Tuesday from 3 to 5 p.m. at the Fort Meade Public Affairs Office, 4409 Llewellyn Ave.
For applications or more information, visit www.ftmeade.army.mil/bagger/index.html or call 301-677-1388.
A Mexican dinner will be offered Friday at 5:30 p.m. at the Courses Clubhouse.
For more information, call 301-677-4333.
Father's Day Brunch
A Father's Day Brunch will be offered Sunday from 10:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Club Meade.
The brunch is open to the public.
For more information, call 301-677-6969.
Credit Union grand opening
The grand opening of the Fort Meade Community Credit Union will be celebrated Wednesday at 11 a.m. at 4471 Redwood Road.
The event will feature refreshments and prizes. Meet the staff and visit the new facilities.
For more information, call 410-551-5801.
Men's Health Fair
In observance of Men's Health Month, Kimbrough Ambulatory Care Center will sponsor a Men's Health Fair on June 25 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Kimbrough.
Health screenings, classes and representatives from agencies that provide information on healthy lifestyle services and support designed to improve men's health will be offered.
To schedule an appointment with one of the providers, eligible beneficiaries may call 301-677-8487 up to the day of the event. A limited number of walk-in appointments also will be available.
Drug-free workplace training
Drug-free workplace mandatory annual training will be offered Monday and Tuesday from 9 a.m. to noon and 1 to 4 p.m. in the Post Theater.
AR 600-85, Army Substance Abuse Program, requires that all Department of Army civilians receive a minimum of two hours of substance abuse-prevention education annually. In fulfillment of this requirement, the Fort Meade Army Substance Abuse Program will conduct mandatory civilian work force briefings in support of the federal Drug-Free Workplace Program.
Dr. Harold Crossley, an expert in pharmacology, substance abuse-prevention education and addiction, will be the presenter.
* Monday's program is designed for managerial/supervisory personnel and will focus on the disease concept of addiction, how to identify problems among employees and how to make effective interventions in the workplace. There will be two sessions, but attendance is required for only one session that day.
* Tuesday's program is for nonmanagerial/supervisory personnel and will focus on the disease concept of addiction, the dangers of drugs of abuse and how to access care. Attendance is required for only one session that day.
A hearing/speech interpreter will be available on both days for the morning sessions only.
For more information, call Kenneth Jones, ASAP manager, at 301-677-7984 or Ann Jennings, Employee Assistance Program coordinator, at 301-677-7981.
Fleet Center classes
The Fleet and Family Support Center offers classes that are open to DoD identification cardholders. Classes are held at the Community Readiness Center, 830 Chisholm Ave., unless otherwise noted.
* Interviewing Skills: Tuesday, 9 a.m. to noon. Learn techniques to help you succeed in your job search and tools for networking and negotiating job offers.
* Spouses Meet and Greet: Wednesday, 10 to 11 a.m. Meet the staff and find out what resources are available. Light refreshments will be served. The event includes prizes and drawings. Registration is required.
* Car Buying: June 23, 1 to 3 p.m.
* Medical Records Review: Have your medical records reviewed by Mr. Thornton of AMVETS. Appointment required.
For more information or to register, call 301-677-9017 or 9018.
Auto skills classes
The Auto Skills Center, housed with the Arts and Crafts Center, 6530 Taylor Ave., offers auto maintenance training classes on some Sundays each month from 1 to 3 p.m.
Cost is $10. Registration and completion of a safety class are required.
* Sunday, "How to change oil and maintain your vehicle"
For more information, call 301-677-5542, email email@example.com or visit www.ftmeademwr.com/auto.php.
Grilling & Chilling
Child, Youth and School Services offers Grilling & Chilling, for grades six to eight, June 24 from 6:30 to 10 p.m. at the Youth Center.
Cost is $5 for hamburgers, hot dogs and beverages. No cost for games and basketball.
Register for the food, or just show up for games. For more information, call 301-677-1437.
Middle School/Teen day camp
Register for the Middle School/Teen Summer Day Camp that begins Monday.
The nine-week program includes activities, outings and trips to the Bohrer Water Park, Wheels Skating Rink, The Smithsonian, Six Flags America, the National Aquarium in Baltimore and WNBA Mystics basketball.
To register or for more information, call 301-677-1156 or 1149, or visit www.ftmeademwr.com/cyss/camp.php.
Middle school party
A Fourth of July middle school party for grades six to eight will be celebrated July 1 from 7 to 9:30 p.m. at the Teen Center.
A sandwich bar, pasta salad and cake will be provided. Cost is $5.
Games will be offered both inside and outside. For more information, call 301-677-1437.
Vacation Bible School
Vacation Bible School, for children ages 4 years old through fifth grade, will be held Aug. 1 to 5 from 8:45 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Argonne Hills Chapel Center.
This year's theme is "Pandamania: Where God is Wild About You."
Children attending middle school can sign up to be volunteers. Child care is available for adult volunteers who have children under 4 years old.
To enroll or for more information, call Marcia Eastland at 301-677-0386 or Sheila Stewart at 301-677-6038.
EDGE! summer activities
EDGE! is offering out-of-school activities, for youths in grades one to 12, on weekdays from 3 to 6 p.m. in June and July.
The program features art, fitness, life skills and adventure.
There is no charge for youths in grades six to 12. Cost for children in grades one through five is $5 per hour.
June activities include: horseback riding, massage basics, laser tag, drama, bowling, remote-control boats and "Tackling the Teen."
July activities include: "Tackling the Teen," remote-control boats, drama, cooking, a reading book club, crabbing and bowling.
Enroll at Parent Central Services, 1900 Reece Road, or call 301-677-1156/1149. To enroll online, visit https://webtrac.mwr.army.mil/webtrac/meadecyms.html
Missoula Children's Theater
Missoula Children's Theater will present a free, weeklong performing arts experience in July for grades one through 12 with the performance of "Robin Hood."
Auditions will be conducted July 10 to 12 at McGill Training Center. Rehearsals will be held weekdays from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., depending on the part.
"Robin Hood" will be presented at no charge July 16 at 3 and 5:30 p.m. at McGill Training Center.
For more information, call 301-677-1196.
Out & About
* The 33rd anniversary of the Montpelier Summer Concert Series will feature free, two-hour concerts June 24 and July 8, 15 and 22, and Aug. 5 at 7:30 p.m. at the Montpelier Mansion grounds, 9652 Muirkirk Road, South Laurel.
The Oracle Band will perform hits from the 1920s to today, on June 24. Bring a picnic, and blanket or chair. Free public and handicapped parking are available at both the Montpelier Drive and Muirkirk Road entrances off Route 197.
In the event of rain, the concert will be cancelled. Call 301-953-7882 after 5 p.m. for verification. For more information, call 301-776-2805.
* Leisure Travel Services, 2300 Wilson St., offers monthly bus trips to New York City on Saturday and July 16 and Aug. 16. Bus fee is $55; discounts will be offered to attractions. For more information, call 301-677-7354 or visit www.ftmeademwr.com.
* Society of Military Widows meets for brunch the fourth Sunday of the month at 11 a.m. at Club Meade. The next meeting is June 26. For information, call Daisy Jackson at 410-730-6194.
* Single Parent Support Group meets the second and fourth Monday of the month from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at School Age Center. The next meeting is June 27. For information, call Lisa Redmond, program manager, at 301-677-3617 or 2290 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Meade Rod and Gun Club meets the first Thursday of the month at 7 p.m. at the Outdoor Adventure Center, Bldg. T-4. The next meeting is July 7. For information, call 240-568-6055.
* Fort Meade E9 Association meets the second Friday of every month at 7 a.m. in the Pin Deck Cafe at the Lanes. The next meeting is July 8. The association is open to active, retired, Reserve and National Guard E9s of any uniformed service. All E9s in this area are invited to attend a breakfast and meet the membership. For more information, call 410-551-7953 or visit www.e9association.org.
* Fort Meade BOSS (Better Opportunity for the Single Solder) meets the first Tuesday of every month at 3 p.m. at McGill Training Center and every third Tuesday at 3 p.m. at Outdoor Recreation, 2300 Wilson St. All single Soldiers on Fort Meade and the National Security Agency are invited. For more information, call 301-677-7785.
* Couples Enrichment Group meets Thursdays from 3 to 4:15 p.m. at Heritage Park Neighborhood Center. For information, call Celena Flowers, Family Advocacy Program manager, at 301-677-4357 or email email@example.com.
* Fort Meade Homeschool Co-op meets Fridays at 9:30 a.m. at 1900 Reece Road. For information, call Laura Edens at 443-510-4715 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Cub Scout Pack 377 invites boys in first through fifth grades, or ages 7 to 10, to attend its weekly Monday meetings at 6 p.m. at Argonne Hills Chapel Center. For information, email Kimberly Smith at email@example.com.
* Boy Scout Troop 379 meets Wednesdays at 7 p.m. at the Outdoor Adventure Building, Bldg. T-4 on Range Road. The troop is recruiting boys age 11 to 18. For information, email Lisa Yetman at firstname.lastname@example.org or Wendall Lawrence, scoutmaster, at email@example.com.
* American Legion Post 276, 8068 Quarterfield Road in Severn, is open to membership for veterans and active-duty service members. Lounge opens daily at 11 a.m. Hot and cold lunches may be purchased from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Happy Hour is from 4 to 6 p.m. Friday night dinners start at 6 p.m. and are also offered the fourth Sunday of every month. Breakfast is also served beginning at 9 a.m.
Membership discounts are offered for active-duty military. For more information, call 410-969-8028 or visit www.americanlegionpost276.org.
Please login to comment:
Col. Brian P. Foley
Public Affairs Officer
Chief, Command Information
Assistant Editor & Senior Writer
General Advertising Inquiries