Community News & Notes
Events on and off base
For more information or to submit an announcement, email Philip Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 301-677-5602.
Feds Feed Families food drive
Across the country there continues to be a need to feed the hungry, particularly in the summer months when there are shortages in food banks and an increased need among children who are out of school and not benefiting from school lunch programs.
Once again, the Chief Human Capital Officers Council is leading the Feds Feed Families campaign with the support of the Office of Personnel Management and other agency partners.
The Department of Defense is supporting the OPM. Federal employees have joined together to collect food nationwide for local food banks.
The food drive kicked off in July and will continue until the end of August. The campaign aims to help stock food banks in the National Capital Region. The DoD has established a goal of 1.5 million pounds of food for 2012.
LaVern Atkinson, chief of the Administrative Services Division, Directorate of Human Resources, is the point of contact for Fort Meade. Other participating installations are Fort Belvoir, Va., and Fort Detrick.
The following nonperishable foods and products are being accepted: canned fruits, canned vegetables, multigrain cereal, grains, canned proteins, soups, 100 percent juice drinks, condiments, snacks, baking goods, hygiene items, paper products and household items.
Donations may be made at drop boxes at organization offices. The date for pickups by Atkinson will be Aug. 24.
Donors and POCs also may call Atkinson to pick up or drop off goods anytime before noon on Aug. 28.
The Food Bank will pick up all Fort Meade donations on Aug. 29 at Bldg. 375.
For more information about the Feds Feed Families campaign, call LaVern Atkinson at 301-677-7128.
The Fort Meade Office of the Staff Judge Advocate, 4217 Roberts Ave., will be closed Wednesday for its Organizational Day.
For more information, call 301-677-9536.
Kimbrough holiday closure
Kimbrough Ambulatory Care Center will be closed Aug. 31 through Sept. 3 for Labor Day weekend.
Summer Concert Series
The Volunteers will perform Saturday at 7 p.m. at Constitution Park during the Army Field Band's free Summer Concert Series
The concert will feature a blend of popular American music, including rock 'n' roll, pop and country.
The series finale, a combined concert featuring all four performing components and the "1812 Overture," will be held Aug. 25.
In inclement weather, the concerts will be canceled and not rescheduled. The final concert will be performed at McGill Training Center and will feature a variety of selections from The Volunteers.
For more information or up-to-date inclement weather information, visit ArmyFieldBand.com.
Bagger-licensing renewals for the Fort Meade Commissary will be issued Wednesdays from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the Fort Meade Public Affairs Office at 4409 Llewellyn Ave.
Those who come to the office outside of this block of time will be able to leave their information. Badges will be issued as time permits.
Women's Equality Day
The 2012 Women's Equality Day Observance will be held Aug. 23 from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at McGill Training Center, 8542 Zimborski Ave.
Admission is free and open to the public.
The keynote speaker will be author and coach Jan Fox, a former Emmy Award-winning television reporter/anchor.
All Fort Meade service members and civilian employees are encouraged to attend.
For more information, call the Fort Meade Equal Opportunity Office at 301-667-6687 or Equal Employment Opportunity Office at 301-677-6298.
Officers' Spouses' Club 'Welcome Back Night'
The Fort Meade Officers' Spouses' Club will sponsor "Welcome Back Night" on Aug. 23 from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at Heritage Park Neighborhood Center.
Hors d'oeuvres will be served.
Welcome Back Night is the organization's kickoff event for 2012 to 2013. Learn what the OSC has planned for this year. Sign up for a special activity or to volunteer for Bingo Bonanza and the Fort Meade OSC Holiday Bazaar.
Submit your registration form for 2012-13. (A printable version is available at www.fortmeadeosc.org. or complete the online form using PayPal for an additional $2 fee.
RSVP at www.fortmeadeosc.org under the Welcome Night tab.
The next Karaoke Night will be today from 7 to 10 p.m. at the Lanes.
For more information, call 301-677-5541.
Enjoy an evening of dancing at Chicago Steppin' on Friday and Aug. 31 from 7 p.m. to midnight at Club Meade.
Free dance lessons will be offered from 7 to 8 p.m.
There is no cover charge. Special menus will be available.
For more information, call 301-677-6969.
International Night Dinner
The cuisine of Thailand will be served at Club Meade's International Night Dinner on Friday from 5:30 to 8 p.m.
For more information, call 301-677-6969.
Crabfest Deck Party
The Lanes' Lounge Deck will sponsor a Crabfest Deck Party on Aug. 24 from 7 to 10 p.m. at the Lanes.
For more information, call 301-677-5541.
Andrews Job Fair
Joint Base Andrews TOP II is sponsoring a Job Fair on Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Andrews Air Force Base, 1889 Arnold Ave.
Doors open at 10 a.m.
Free resume workshops will be available from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Transitioning service members, retired and active-duty service members are encouraged to attend.
Bring at least 20 resumes. Professional dress (or military uniform) is required. All attendees must have access to the base, with an active CAC card.
For more Information, call 540-226-1473 or 434-263-5102, or email email@example.com.
Military Council for Catholic Women
The Military Council for Catholic Women is open to all women ages 18 and older - active duty, retirees and civilians - as the group begins its 2012 to 2013 year of prayer, faith, fellowship and service at the Main Post Chapel.
* Welcome Bunco will be held Sept. 10 from 6:30 to 9 p.m. Prizes will be white elephant.
* Noon Mother's Prayer & Apologetics will be conducted Sept. 11 at 9:45 a.m.
Child care will be provided for both events.
* Mother's Prayer & Apologetics meets every Tuesday from 9:45 a.m. to noon when Anne Arundel County schools are in session.
* Monthly programs are held Mondays from 6:30 to 9 p.m.
For more information, email Beth Wright, president, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 305-240-1559.
Air Force Ball
The 65th Air Force Ball will be held Sept. 14 from 6 p.m. to midnight at the Hilton BWI Hotel, 1729 W. Nursery Road, Linthicum Heights.
Social hour is from 6 to 7 p.m.
Dress for military is mess dress/semiformal. Dress for civilians is formal/black tie.
Tickets are $15 for E1 to E4; $25 for E5 to E6; $35 for SNCOs/CGOs; and $45 for FGOs.
A cash bar will be available. Child care will be provided on a first-come basis.
For more information, visit https://einvitations.afit.edu/inv/anim.cfm?i=120132&k=036342087855.
Free military culture, management and leadership classes are offered to the entire Fort Meade community through Military Family Team Building.
The 34 courses are divided into three levels with 10 to 14 classes per level.
Level One is for those new to military culture and helps participants build their self-sufficiency skills while explaining military traditions, expectations and unique culture.
Level Two helps students develop their management skills and personal growth. Level Three focuses on becoming a leader in the community
* AFTB/MFTB Concept Block: "You Can't Write That!" - OPSEC Social Media Training, today, 9 a.m. to noon, Army Community Service, 830 Chisholm Ave. Instructors: Pia Morales and Amber Rustad
The training will provide a better understanding of how social networking sites can create vulnerabilities without proper OPSEC.
* New Spouse Connection and Meet 'n Greet, Sept. 11, 7 to 8:30 p.m., Potomac Place Neighborhood Center, 4998 Second Corps Blvd. Instructors: Pia Morales and Amber Rustad
All spouses new to the Fort Meade community and surrounding area are invited to attend. Information will be provided on child care options, scholarships for spouses, area attractions, volunteer opportunities, public transportation and AFTB.
The event will include an activity get-together for Meet 'n Greet.
For more information, call 301-677-4110 or email email@example.com.
CARE Team training
A second session of training will be offered to the Fort Meade Casualty Response Team on Aug. 28 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Community Readiness Center, 830 Chisholm Ave.
CARE Team members provide short-term volunteer work for families going through tragedy or crisis.
For more information, email Pia Morales at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 301-677-4110.
Pershing Hill school info
Pershing Hill Elementary School starts Aug. 27 for all students.
Breakfast begins at 7:40 a.m. and ends at 7:55 a.m.
Students enter the building at 7:45 a.m. Morning announcements begin at 8 a.m.
Morning meeting and instruction begin at 8:05 a.m. Students are considered tardy if they arrive after 8:05 a.m.
View the school supply list online at the school's website or pick up a list from the school. Supply lists are also available at the commissary, local Walmart, Target and office supply stores.
Students may visit their classrooms on the following dates by grade level:
* Grade two: Tuesday, 2 to 2:45 p.m.
* Grades one and three: Wednesday, 2 to 2:45 p.m.
* Grades four to five: Aug. 23, 2 to 2:45 p.m.
* Back-to-School Night will be held Sept. 5 from 6 to 8 p.m.
A letter with detailed information pertinent to the first day of school, procedures, routines, volunteering, and PTA will be mailed to all students and parents.
For more information, call 410-222-6523.
The Financial Readiness Program at Army Community Service is offering the following free financial classes at the Community Readiness Center, 830 Chisholm Ave., to DoD identification cardholders, including active-duty service members, retirees and their family members, DoD civilian employees and contractors.
Registration is required.
* Home Buying: Tuesday, from 9 to 11 a.m.
* Financial Workshop: Aug. 23, from 1 to 3 p.m.
* First Term Financial Readiness (online): Aug. 28, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Promotion points are awarded upon request for first-term training.
To register for training or for more information, call ACS at 301-677-5590.
PWOC fall kick-off
Protestant Women of the Chapel's fall kick-off will be Aug. 29 from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. at Argonne Hills Chapel Center.
Eight different Bible studies will be offered for the fall semester.
Free child care will be provided.
For more information, email email@example.com or visit PWOC on Facebook at facebook.com/PWOCmeade.
The Scream Free Parenting workshop, "Five Truths Every Parent Needs to Know," will be held Tuesday from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. and Wednesday from 9 to 11 a.m. at Meuse Forest Neighborhood Center.
Free child care is provided for children registered with Child, Youth and School Services.
Advance registration is required by calling 301-677-3617 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
S.T.E.M. Merit Badge Day
S.T.E.M. Merit Badge Day, a program developed between the Boy Scouts and Fort Meade, will offer merit badges in the fields of science, technology, engineering and math for ages 11 to 17 on Sept. 8 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at various facilities on post.
Cost is $20.
Merit badges will be offered in chemistry, composite materials, computers, electricity, electronics, robotics, space exploration, inventing, engineering energy and surveying.
Spaces are limited. Registration is required.
To register or for more information, visit baltimorebsa.org/STEM/FtMeade or email Patrick Shields at email@example.com.
Girl Scout leaders wanted
Fort Meade Girl Scouts is in need of leaders.
The organization has several troop levels, which meet Monday, Tuesday and Thursday evenings.
Training is available through GSCM.org.
For more information, email Lorrie Short at firstname.lastname@example.org or Hope Brooks at email@example.com.
Dinner and game
Child, Youth and School Services will offer a Taco Bell dinner followed by basketball for grades six to eight on Friday from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. at the Youth Center's outside court.
For more information, call 301-677-1437.
Grilling & Chilling
CYSS will offer Grilling & Chilling for grades six to eight on Aug. 31 from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. at the Youth Center.
Cost is $5 for food. Music and games will follow.
For more information, call 301-677-1437.
Out & About
* Fourth Annual Inner Harbor Art Festival will be held Friday from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Baltimore's Inner Harbor, 601 E. Pratt St. The free event will feature paintings, photography, glasswork, jewelry, sculpture and mixed media creations. Meet the artists, purchase artwork. For more information, visit artfestival.com.
* The Prince George's County Fair will honor active-duty service members, Reservists and their families with free admission during the fair's Military Appreciation Day on Sept. 9 at the Prince George's Equestrian Center and the Show Place Arena, near the intersection of Pennsylvania Avenue (Route 4) and Route 301 in Upper Marlboro.
A valid military ID is required. The fair will be held from Sept 6-9.
For more information, call 301-442-7393 or visit www.countyfair.org.
* Leisure Travel Services is offering monthly bus trips to New York City on Saturday and Sept. 15, with discounts to attractions. Bus cost is $55. For more information, call 301-677-7354 or visit ftmeademwr.com.
* Retired Enlisted Association meets the third Thursday of the month from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. at Argonne Hills Chapel Center. The next meeting is tonight. For more information, visit trea.org or call Mary Gray, the local president, at 410-916-5385 or Arthur R. Cooper, national president, at 443-336-1230.
* Families Dealing with Deployment meets the first and third Monday of every month from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. at Meuse Forest Neighborhood Center. The next meeting is Monday. For more information, call Rikki Ford, Parent Support coordinator, at 301-677-3617 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Patient/Family Advisory Council meets the third Tuesday of each month at 3 p.m. at Kimbrough Ambulatory Care Center. The next meeting is Tuesday in Kimbrough's main conference room on the third floor, room 3C03.
For more information or to become a council member, call Becky Mays Jenkins, coordinator of Patient and Family Centered Care, at 301-677-8261.
* Air Force Sergeants Association Chapter 254 meets the fourth Wednesday of the month from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. in the Roost, 9827 Love Road. The next meeting is Wednesday. For more information, call 443-534-5170 or visit afsa254.org.
* Society of Military Widows meets for brunch the fourth Sunday of the month at 11 a.m. at the Lanes. The next meeting is Aug. 26. For more information, call Betty Jones at 410-730-0127.
Please login to comment:
Col. Brian P. Foley
Public Affairs Officer
Chief, Command Information
Assistant Editor & Senior Writer
General Advertising Inquiries