Community News & Notes
Events on and off base
For more information or to submit an announcement, email Philip Jones at email@example.com or call 301-677-5602.
NEWS & EVENTS
Bagger-licensing renewals for the Fort Meade Commissary will be issued Wednesdays from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the Fort Meade Public Affairs Office at 4409 Llewellyn Ave.
Those who come to the office outside of this block of time will be able to leave their information. Badges will be issued as time permits.
Islamic prayer room
The Islamic prayer room at Argonne Hills Chapel Center on Rockenbach Road will be open Mondays to Fridays for Dhuhr prayers during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.
Prayers begin at 1:15 p.m.
For more information, call Chad Jones at 301-677-1301.
The Fort Meade Office of the Staff Judge Advocate, 4217 Roberts Ave., will be closed Aug. 22 for its Organizational Day.
For more information, call 301-677-9536.
SNCO Induction Ceremony
Meade Top III will present the 2012 Air Force SNCO Induction Ceremony on Aug. 10 at 6 p.m. at the BWI Hilton Hotel in Linthicum Heights.
Tickets are $45. Child care will be available.
For more information, call Master Sgt. Lazarus Brown at 301-677-0051 or Master Sgt. Matthew Cook at 443-479-9983.
Car seat check
The Fort Meade Fire Department and State of Maryland will offer a free car seat check on Aug. 20 from 1 to 4 p.m. in the Demps Visitor Control Center parking lot at the intersection of Route 175 and Reese Road.
No appointment necessary.
To ensure proper fit, bring the vehicle and car seat owner's manuals and the child that will be using the seat.
For more information, call 301-677-5577.
Summer Concert Series
The U.S. Army Field Band will present its annual Summer Concert Series every Saturday in August at 7 p.m. at Constitution Park.
Admission is free; no tickets required.
* Aug. 4: The Concert Band and Soldiers' Chorus, featuring a 65-member instrumental ensemble joined by the 29-member Soldiers' Chorus to perform Broadway show tunes, opera, Americana and classical works.
* Aug. 11: Jazz Ambassadors, America's Big Band, will perform a mix of big band swing, bebop, Latin, contemporary jazz, jazz standards, Dixieland and patriotic selections.
* Aug. 18: The Volunteers, Army's premier touring pop/rock band, will perform a blend of popular American music, including rock 'n' roll, pop and country.
* Aug. 25, combined concert featuring all four performing components
In the event of inclement weather, the first three concerts will be canceled and not rescheduled. The final concert will be performed at McGill Training Center and will feature a variety of selections from The Volunteers.
For more information or up-to-date inclement weather information, visit ArmyFieldBand.com.
The Exceptional Family Member Program will present the program "Tricare, Other Benefits, and Autism Safety" on Aug. 8 from 5:30 to 8 p.m. at Army Community Service, 830 Chisholm Ave.
Registration is required. The event is open to service members and civilians.
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 301-677-7836.
Club Meade is sponsoring Country-Top 40 Night on Friday from 9 p.m. to 2 a.m.
Special menus will be available. There is no cover charge.
For more information, call 301-677-6969.
The Lanes will sponsor a Deck Party on Friday from 7 to 10 p.m.
The free event will feature games, prizes and music. A special food and drink menu will be available for purchase.
For more information, call 301-677-5541.
Talent show auditions
Auditions will be conducted Aug. 8 from 5 to 6:30 p.m. and Aug. 13 and 15 from 12:30 to 2 p.m. at McGill Training Center for the annual "Fort Meade's Got Talent" show.
Contestants must participate in auditions to be selected for the finals.
The talent show will be presented Sept. 8 at 7 p.m.
To register, call 301-677-7552.
Fall semester event
The University of Maryland University College is sponsoring a start-up event for the fall semester on Aug. 7 from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the Army Education Center, 8601 Zimborski Ave.
Advisors will be available to help assemble a degree plan.
The $50 application fee will be waived for students who apply at the event. (This is not available for Doctor of Management students.)
For more information, call 301-621-9882.
Relationship enrichment workshop
"Learning How To Love," a marriage and relationship enrichment workshop for couples and singles, will be held Friday from noon to 4 p.m. at the Community Readiness Center, 830 Chisholm Ave.
The workshop, hosted by the Army Community Service Family Advocacy Program, will feature marriage coaches, authors and speakers.
To register or for more information, call ACS at 301-677-5590 or 301-677-4357.
Bible 101 lecture
The Gospel Congregation at Fort Meade is sponsoring a Bible 101 lecture series addressing some of the fundamentals of the Bible on Friday from 7 to 9 p.m. and Saturday from 8 a.m. to noon at Argonne Hills Chapel Center.
Chaplain (Maj.) Dean Darroux, director of pastoral ministries, will address various issues.
To register, call Paula Henry at 410-951-8744 or 410-951-8803.
Childbirth ed classes
Kimbrough Ambulatory Care Center is offering childbirth education classes Aug. 2 and 3, focusing on what to expect during labor and how to cope.
Classes are free and open to all active-duty service members, their beneficiaries and DoD civilians.
To enroll, call Public Health Nursing at 301-677-8435.
PWOC fall kick-off
Protestant Women of the Chapel's fall kick-off will be Aug. 29 from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. at Argonne Chapel Center.
This years theme is "Generation 2 Generation." Learn what it means to leave a godly legacy for the next generation.
Free child care will be provided.
Eight different Bible studies will be offered for the fall semester.
For more information, email email@example.com or visit PWOC on Facebook at facebook.com/PWOCmeade.
The Scream Free Parenting workshop, "Five Truths Every Parent Needs to Know," will be held Aug. 21 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. and Aug. 22 from 9 to 11 a.m. at Meuse Forest Neighborhood Center.
Join Hal Runkel, author of "Scream Free Parenting," to learn about his scream-free approach to parenting and principles to help you stay calm and connected with your children.
Free child care is provided for children registered with Child, Youth and School Services.
Advance registration is required by calling 301-677-3617 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Career, financial classes
The Fleet and Family Support Center offers free classes at the Community Readiness Center, 830 Chisholm Ave., to DoD identification cardholders, including active-duty service members, retirees and their family members, DoD civilian employees and contractors.
Registration is required.
* DTAP (Disability Transition Assistance Program): Monday, 9 a.m. to noon, for those medically separating or retiring
* TAP (Transition Assistance Program): Aug. 6-10, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
* Anger Management: Aug. 7, 9 to 11 a.m.
* Resume Writing: Aug. 7, 9 a.m. to noon
* Dollars and Sense: Aug. 7, 1 to 3 p.m. Topics include: Basic Budgeting, Financial Goals and Priorities, Saving and Investing, and Managing Your Credit.
* Car Buying: Aug. 9, 1 to 3 p.m.
* Medical records review: Have your medical records reviewed by Mr. Thornton of AMVETS. Appointment required at 301-677-9017.
For more information, call 301-677-9017 or 301-677-9018.
Army Community Service and Army Family Team Building are offering Family Team Building classes at Potomac Place and Meuse Forest neighborhood centers.
* "Grow Skills for Military Life," Level 2, on Aug. 9 and 10, 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
* Instructors Course, MFTB instructor training, Sept. 9 and 10, 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Bring a brown bag lunch.
Registration is required. Limited child care is available.
To register or for more information, call 301-677-5590 or email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Medal of Honor Memorial Library offers pre-kindergarten Storytime on Thursdays from 9:30 to 10 a.m. and 10:30 to 11 a.m.
* Thursday: "Beach Party," about the beach and ocean
For more information, call 301-677-5522.
Drama camp performance
The Summer SKIES PROPS Drama Camp, for grades one to 12, will perform Saturday at 3 and 5:30 p.m. at McGill Training Center.
Admission is free and open to the public.
For more information, call 301-677-1196.
Summer reading program
Children are invited to the Medal of Honor Memorial Library to register for this year's "Reading Is So Delicious" summer reading program that ends Aug. 25.
Participants will receive a reading log and a goodie bag.
A summer reading program event, Mad Science of Central Maryland, will be held Aug. 7 at 10 a.m. at Burba Cottage.
For more information, call 301-677-5522.
Out & About
* Maryland SPCA will sponsor a Wine and Wag Happy Hour on Aug. 11 from 4:30 to 7:30 p.m. at 3300 Falls Road, Baltimore. The event will feature off-leash play in the fun runs, bobbing for hot dogs, paw painting for dogs, beer, wine and hors d'oeuvres. Tickets are $10 in advance and $15 at the door. Dogs are free, but only one per person. Tickets can be purchased online at mdspca.kintera.org/wag. For more information, email Tami Gosheff at email@example.com or call 410-235-8826, ext. 138, or visit mdspca.org.
* The Bowie Baysox will sponsor the Baysox Family Campout on Aug. 3 at Prince George's Stadium after the Baysox take on the Trenton Thunder at 7:05 p.m.
A fireworks show will be presented following the game.
Campout tickets are $10 and include a box seat ticket to the game. Families also may purchase food voucher options. Tickets can be ordered online at baysoxshop.com or by calling Chris Rogers at 301-464-4813.
* The Bowie Baysox will sponsor a pregame children's concert featuring the Rocknoceros on Aug. 4 at 4:15 p.m. before the team takes on the Trenton Thunder at 6:35 p.m.
After the game, a fireworks show will be presented. Fans also can meet former players in the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League." Children may run the bases.
Concert tickets are $12 in advance or $14 the day of the concert and include a general admission seat for the game. Tickets can be ordered by calling 301-464-4865 or online at baysox.com.
* Monthly Prayer Breakfast, hosted by the Garrison Chaplain's Office, is held the first Thursday of every month at 7 a.m. at Club Meade. The next prayer breakfast will be Aug. 2. Garrison Chaplain (Col.) Carl R. Rau will be the guest speaker.
All Fort Meade employees, family members, and civilian and military personnel are invited. There is no cost for the buffet; donations are optional.
For more information, call 301-677-6703 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Meade Rod and Gun Club meets the first Thursday of the month at 7 p.m. at Perry's Restaurant and Odie's Pub at 1210 Annapolis Road, Odenton. The next meeting is Aug. 2 in the banquet hall in back of the building. Dinner is served at 6 p.m. For more information, call 410-674-4000.
* Families Dealing with Deployment meets the first and third Monday of every month from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. at Meuse Forest Neighborhood Center. The next meeting is Aug. 6. For more information, call Rikki Ford, Parent Support coordinator, at 301-677-3617 or email email@example.com.
* Fort Meade TOP III Association meets the second Wednesday of each month at 3 p.m. at the Courses. The next meeting is Aug. 8. The association is open to all Air Force active-duty and retired senior noncommissioned officers. For more information, call Master Sgt. Jonathan Jacob at 443-479-0616 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Meade Branch 212 of the Fleet Reserve Association meets the second Wednesday of each month at 7 p.m. at VFW Post 160 on Route 170 in Glen Burnie. The next meeting is Aug. 8. Active-duty, Reserve and retired members of the U.S. Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard are invited. For more information, call 410-761-7046 or 301-262-6556.
* Fort Meade E9 Association meets the second Friday of every month at 7 a.m. in the Pin Deck Cafe at the Lanes. The next meeting is Aug. 10. The association is open to active, retired, Reserve and National Guard E9s of any uniformed service. All E9s in this area are invited to attend a breakfast and meet the membership. For more information, visit e9association.org or call 410-551-7953.
* Spouse PTSD Support Group meets Wednesdays from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at the Soldier and Family Assistance Center, 2462 85th Medical Battalion Ave.
The support group, sponsored by Behavioral Health Care Service, the Religious Support Office and the Army Substance Abuse Program, is for spouses whose loved ones are exhibiting symptoms of PTSD. Learn valuable tools and resources to understand PTSD and how to cope.
To join or for more information, call 301-677-8870.
Please login to comment:
Col. Brian P. Foley
Public Affairs Officer
Assistant Editor & Senior Writer
General Advertising Inquiries