Community News & Notes
Events on and off base
For more information or to submit an announcement, email Philip Jones at email@example.com or call 301-677-5602.
NEWS & EVENTS
The DEMPS Visitor Control Center will close Wednesday for a Commander's Call and staff training.
The VCC will reopen June 21 for normal duty hours.
Anyone requiring access to the installation should follow the perimeter road behind the VCC to the inspection station.
All drivers must have a driver's license and vehicle registration.
For more information, call 301-677-1064.
DFMWR early closings
Many activities sponsored by the Directorate of Family and Morale, Welfare and Recreation will close Friday at noon so that staff may participate in Organizational Day events.
For a complete listing of activity closing, visit ftmeade.army.mil.
The Fort Meade Veterinary Treatment Facility at 2018 Annapolis Road is undergoing renovations through August.
Regular hours of 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. will be held from June 18 to July 13.
The clinic will close July 16 to 31 for the remodeling of the lobby and exam room, and on June 29 in the afternoon for monthly inventory.
Summer holiday closings will be on July 4 and 5 for Independence Day and Aug. 31 to Sept. 2 for Labor Day.
For more information, call 301-677-1300.
780th change of command
Col. Jonathan E. Sweet will relinquish command of the 780th Military Intelligence Brigade to Col. Jennifer G. Buckner in a ceremony Friday at 9 a.m. on McGlachlin Parade Field.
In the event of inclement weather, the ceremony will be held at McGill Training Center.
34th IS change of command
Lt. Col. Lisa Y. Stevenson of the 34th Intelligence Squadron will relinquish command to Lt. Col. Joseph M. Appel in a change of command ceremony on June 21 at 9:34 a.m. at National Vigilance Park at the National Security Agency.
For more information, email Capt. Monica Sowell at firstname.lastname@example.org or Master Sgt. Darcy Bailey-Smith at email@example.com.
Hearts Apart survey
Army Community Service is conducting a survey on Hearts Apart.
The support group is geared for those separated from their service member by deployment, PCS or TDY for more than 30 days.
To participate, visit surveymonkey.com/s/HeartsApartSurvey.
Meade High seeking volunteers
Meade High School is seeking community members and parents of students to serve in its new volunteer program, "Service Stars."
Volunteers will serve two to three hours per month during the school day in support of teachers. Tasks include inventorying books, providing cooking demonstrations, filing, reading support to students, monitoring hallways and helping with bus duty.
Volunteers will be given free admission to school events and will be honored at a year-end awards ceremony.
For more information, call Bobbi Coffman at 443-433-2416 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Enjoy a night of Latin dancing in a nightclub ambiance at Latin Night on Friday from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. at Club Meade.
No cover charge. A cash bar will be available.
For more information, call 301-677-6969.
Chamber Music Concert
The U.S. Army Field Band will present a Chamber Music Concert featuring mixed performers on Sunday at 3 p.m. at Emmanuel Lutheran Church, 929 Ingleside Ave., Catonsville.
The free event is open to the public. No tickets required.
The Field Band's Chamber Music Concert Series features a wide spectrum of chamber music literature, ranging from classical works to folk tunes performed both instrumentally and vocally.
For more information, call 301-677-6586 or visit www.ArmyFieldBand.com.
Rock star for a day
Army Entertainment is sending one talented Soldier to the Army Concert Tour on June 23 at Fort Knox, Ky., to be the opening act.
The winning Soldier will open with a 15-minute set for REO Speed Wagon, Styx and Blue Oyster Cult.
To enter, the Soldier must upload a video audition between 1:30 to 4:30 minutes long. Instructions for uploading the videos are located on the promotion webpage: armymwr.com/rockstar.
Evening vet clinic
The Fort Meade Veterinary Treatment Facility at 2018 Annapolis Road is offering an evening vet clinic Wednesday from 4 to 7 p.m.
The clinic will provide health exams, vaccinations and sick appointments.
Services are available to active-duty service members, retirees and their families with military I.D.
To schedule an appointment or for more information, call 301-677-1300.
EFMP focus groups
Exceptional Family Member Program focus groups will meet July 11 from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Community Readiness Center, 830 Chisholm Ave.
Guest speakers are EFMP representatives from the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines and Coast Guard. Use this opportunity to tell us what is working and areas for improvement.
Registration is required.
For more information, email email@example.com or call 301-677-4473.
Food vendors wanted
The Directorate of Family and Morale, Welfare and Recreation Special Events is seeking food/beverage and novelty vendors for Fort Meade's Independence Day celebration.
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tax Center open
The Fort Meade Tax Center at 4217 Roberts Ave. is open to take appointments until June 30.
If you filed an extension, have a tax question or received a tax notice and need assistance, call 301-677-9765 to schedule an appointment.
Military Family Team Building, part of Army Community Service, is offering two classes:
* Healthy Relationships: Monday, 1 to 4 p.m., Community Readiness Center, 830 Chisholm Ave.
The Level II class for military spouses will provide a set of skills and lessons for building and maintaining healthy relationships.
* "Navigating Military Life": July 12 to 13, 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m., Potomac Place Neighborhood Center
The Level I class, for military personnel and spouses and Department of Army civilians, provides tools to navigate the military lifestyle. Modules include Expectations of Military Life, Understanding Military Acronyms, and Military Traditions and Customs.
Registration is required for both classes.
For more information, call 301-677-4110 or email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Auto care courses
The Automotive Skills Center at 6530 Taylor Ave. is offering "Understanding A/C & Heating Systems" on Sunday from 1 to 3 p.m.
Cost is $10.
An FMWR card is required to use the Auto Skills Center. New patrons must first view a 20-minute safety video, then attend a 10-minute briefing before receiving the FMWR card.
For more information, call 301-677-5542.
Romp 'n Stomp
Romp 'n Stomp playgroup, for parents and their children up to 5 years old, will meet during the summer on Tuesdays from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. at the Boundless Playground.
For more information, call Rikki Ford, Parent Support coordinator, at 301-677-3617 or e-mail email@example.com.
Children's Reading Room
The Potomac Place Children's Reading Room will be open Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
For more information, call 301-677-5522.
The Exceptional Family Member Program is offering "Little Hands" playgroup for enrolled families with children ages 5 and younger on July 19 from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m.,
Registration is limited to the first 15 people.
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 301-677-4779.
The Medal of Honor Memorial Library offers pre-kindergarten Storytime on Thursdays at 9:30 a.m. and 10:30 a.m.
* Thurs: "Hooray for Father's Day," stories, songs and finger plays about fathers
* June 21: "Reading Is So Delicious," getting ready for the library's summer reading program with a Storytime about food
For more information, call 301-677-5522.
Summer reading program
Children of all ages are invited to the Medal of Honor Memorial Library to register for this year's "Reading Is So Delicious" summer reading program that starts Tuesday and ends Aug. 25.
Participants will receive a reading log and a goodie bag. After seven days, they can bring their reading log to the library for additional prizes.
Prizes will be on display at the library.
For more information, call 301-677-5522.
Out & About
* A Star-Spangled Sailabration will be held through Tuesday in commemoration of the War of 1812. Dozens of tall ships and U.S. Navy gray hulls are expected in the Baltimore harbor. The "Angels Over Baltimore" Air Show, featuring the U.S. Navy's Blue Angels aerobatics demonstration team, will take place over the harbor and Fort McHenry on Saturday and Sunday.
A commemoration ceremony will be held Tuesday from 10:30 a.m. to noon and will include performances by the U.S. Navy Band, Band of Her Majesty's Royal Marines and the Morgan State University Choir. For more information, visit starspangled200.com.
* The 35th anniversary of the Columbia Festival of the Arts will be held Friday through June 30, showcasing music, dance, theater, visual arts, film and outdoor activities for the entire family.
Events include a free literary reading with poets and prose writers on June 23 from 2 to 4 p.m. at Oliver's Carriage House. The Flying Karamazov Brothers will perform June 23 at 8 p.m. at the Rouse Theatre at a cost of $20 to $45. For a complete listing of events, visit columbiafestival.com.
* The Bowie Baysox is sponsoring Team Ghost Riders Cowboy Monkey Rodeo on June 24 at Prince George's Stadium, as the Baysox takes on the Reading Phillies at 2:05 p.m. Dog-riding monkeys will patrol the field during the pregame performance. Team Ghost Riders will return for several in-game performances between innings. To order tickets, visit baysox.com or call the box office at 301-464-4865.
* Harborplace Summer Live! free summer concert series will be presented through Sept. 29 on Friday and Saturday evenings from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Harborplace Ampitheater, 200 E. Pratt St., Baltimore. Friday: U.S. Navy Cruisers Rock Ensemble; Saturday: Maryland Defense Force Band (military/brass); June 22: Tom Principato (blues/roots); June 23: Groove Stu (R&B/neo-soul); June 29: The Crawdaddies (zydeco/roots rock). In inclement weather or for more information, visit harborplace.com.
* Enlisted Spouses Club will continue to meet the second Monday of each month at 7 p.m. at Potomac Place Neighborhood Center due to renovations. The next meeting is Monday. For more information, visit ftmeadeesc.org or email email@example.com.
* Families Dealing with Deployment meets the first and third Monday of every month from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. at Meuse Forest Neighborhood Center. The next meeting is Monday. For more information, call Rikki Ford, Parent Support coordinator, at 301-677-3617 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Patient/Family Advisory Council meets the third Tuesday of each month at 3 p.m. at Kimbrough Ambulatory Care Center. The next meeting will be Tuesday in Kimbrough's main conference room on the third floor, room 3C03.
For more information or to become a council member, call Becky Mays Jenkins, coordinator of Patient and Family Centered Care, at 301-677-8261.
* Spouse PTSD Support Group meets Wednesdays from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at the Soldier and Family Assistance Center, 2462 85th Medical Battalion Ave.
The support group, sponsored by Behavioral Health Care Service, the Religious Support Office and the Army Substance Abuse Program, is for spouses whose loved ones are exhibiting symptoms of PTSD. Learn valuable tools and resources to understand PTSD and how to cope.
To join or for more information, call 301-677-8870.
* Retired Enlisted Association meets the third Thursday of the month from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. at Argonne Hills Chapel Center. The next meeting is June 21. For more information, visit trea.org or call Mary Gray, the local president, at 410-916-5385 or Arthur R. Cooper, national president, at 443-336-1230.
* Society of Military Widows meets for brunch the fourth Sunday of the month at 11 a.m. at Club Meade. The next meeting is June 24. For more information, call Betty Jones at 410-730-0127.
* Single Parent Support Group meets the second and fourth Monday of the month from 6 to 8 p.m. at School Age Services, 1900 Reece Road. The next meeting is June 25. Free child care will be provided on site.
For more information, call Rikki Ford, Parent Support coordinator, at 301-677-3617 or email email@example.com.
Please login to comment:
Dec 22, 2013
Col. Brian P. Foley
Public Affairs Officer
Command Information Director
Assistant Editor & Senior Writer
General Advertising Inquiries